Search This Blog

Sunday, April 22, 2012

Why I Want To Be a Nurse


                                                           Why I Want To Be a Nurse

What is nursing

“Nursing is the protection, promotion, and optimization of health and abilities, prevention of illness and injury, alleviation of suffering through the diagnosis and treatment of human response, and advocacy in the care of individuals, families, communities, and populations.”
Nursing includes a range of specialties and definitions that vary from country to country. According to the International Council of Nurses, "Nursing encompasses autonomous and collaborative care of individuals of all ages, families, groups and communities, sick or well and in all settings. Nursing includes the promotion of health, prevention of illness, and the care of ill, disabled and dying people. Advocacy, promotion of a safe environment, research, participation in shaping health policy and in patient and health systems management, and education are also key nursing roles."

Why am interested in nursing


During my sophomore year in High School I had no plans on going to college or University. All of that changed during my junior year when I joined biology class and chemistry and biology. Through first I became self confident and I started believing in myself. I saw a lot of improvement in my grades and I became interested in these Sciences. In fall of 2011 I became the first person from my family to go to college.
My grandfather always used to say to me “nothing in life is easy if it’s worth having”, and I am just so sad that she can’t see me now, turning away from the easy  path towards one I know will bring a lifetime of challenges and fulfillment. I always respected him and have tried to make my entire family proud of me. I am the first person from my working class family to go to college, and while I am proud of accomplishing this goal, which was by no means easy financially or emotionally, my career path after graduation has not been as fulfilling as I was hoping it would be. But I never lose hope. And now am out for a long life education.
I originally became interested in the health care field at a very early age because my mother was an assistant nurse and I spent considerable time in my childhood observing her at work. I was attracted to the idea of helping people with physical problems, although I had no thought about any specific specialty. However, in time physical therapy became the logical focus of my attention for a number of reasons. For one, I have memories from a very young age of my grandfather in Kenya, disabled by a stroke, his problems unmitigated by any attempts at physical therapy. I will never forget the devastating consequences of this.
Now I have decided to be a nurse. I will be healthcare professional who is focused on caring for individuals, families, and communities, ensuring that they attain, maintain, or recover optimal health and functioning. As nurses, I will be capable of assessing, planning, implementing, and evaluating care independently of physicians, and they provide support from basic triage to emergency surgery. I may practice in hospitals, clinics, physician offices, private homes, schools, pharmaceutical companies, industry, schools, cruise ships, retirement homes, hospice facilities, long-term care facilities, military facilities, and even camps. Or I may also advise and work as consultants in the healthcare, insurance, or legal industries. I can work full- or part-time, and many work on a per diem basis or as traveling nurses.
My duty as a nurse is to assist individuals in performing activities that contribute to health, recovery, or peaceful death, which the patients would perform if they had the strength, will, or knowledge required. But not like my grandfather’s death which didn’t have a good nursing care. I will also strive to achieve the best possible quality of life for the patients, regardless of disease or disability. I will use clinical judgment to protect, promote, and optimize health, prevent illness and injury, alleviate suffering, and advocate in health care for individuals, families, communities, and populations.
Nursing is more than a profession of integrity and compassion, it is a privilege that measures out my values as a human being and the responsibilities granted to me with the precious gift to me.

Research question


What is a role of a Kenyan nurse?
What is a role of a Kenyan nurse? A role of a Kenyan nurse is to provide care for the patient, work with doctors, protect the patient, teach the patient and family, advocate for the family.
Kenyan nurses care for patients continuously, 24 hours a day. They help the patient to do what they could do for themselves if they could. They take care for the patients making sure that they can breathe properly, helping patients sleep, and making sure that they are comfortable. Taking care of their needs to eliminate waste from body. Nurses know each patient’s problem that they have.
Kenyan nurses play a BIG role not only by taking care of a patient but also gives comfort and support to the patient and his or her family. When the patient cannot recover, the nurse helps to make sure that the death is peaceful.
            When a person becomes ill or is injured, he goes through the nurse to see the doctor and then the doctor only deals with the main problem after that the nurse will admit the patient and manage their care. Mostly in rural areas nurses deal with patients and if the patient is critical, that’s when they refer him or her to the doctor.
            Nurses carry out many of the treatments prescribed to the patient. The nurse helps the doctor during surgery in the operation room. The nurse injects the patient and the drugs described to the patient. The nurse changes the patients dressing and monitors the healing of the wound at the same time the nurse gives medication for the pain.
                Nurses also monitor the patient’s progress to make sure that the recovery has complications. Nurses mostly find problem in patients because they have more frequent contacts with them than anyone else. The nurse also plans and supervises the care given by nursing assistants, checks on the work of housekeeping staff assigned to clean the patient's room, and ensures that the patient gets enough healthy food.
            Nurses protect the patient. When a person is ill and weak, he or she has an injury; the nurse plays the major role of protecting the patient by ensuring that the patient is well taken care of.  The nurse also takes care of the environment where the patient is in order to prevent the spread of the infection from one patient to another. The nurse makes sure the patient’s room is clean; patient is clean and has Safe food which is healthy. Always the nurse is the mother of hygiene she washes her hands carefully before and after the patient care and before care.
The nurse also makes sure the patient is physically safe. She takes care of the patient when he or she is sleeping in bed so that she cannot fall off bed of fall when trying to walk or slip on a wet floor. The nurse protects the patient from anything that may be harmful to the patient.
            The nurse also teaches the patient and family about how to control the disease and how to handle the diseases that they already have. Nurses also teach patients how to care for them self after they will leave the hospital or the health facilities.
            The nurses are the advocates for the patients. They are always with people when they are born, when they are injured or when they are ill, and when they die. Most people before they die, they share their views with the nurses. Nurses are always on the bed side of the patient all day long. They are always there when the patient cannot sleep because of pain or loneliness. They are there to bate patients, feed them and support them. They are the ones who speak for the patient when he or she cannot speak.









No comments:

Post a Comment