Search This Blog

Monday, April 30, 2012

2012 second semester


This semester I have been working on a project on the roles of a Kenyan nurse. I learned many things that I never knew. I did my research online about Kenyan nurses and even met with a Kenyan nurse to collect more information about my research.
The reason why I decided to choose these three papers for my final portfolio is because they have more and stronger information that I can use any time. The first of the three projects I chose is the research project which I did with a Kenyan nurse. The second one is the putting together of the information from my online research, comparing it with the interview of a Kenyan nurse. The third paper I chose is the research report that I used to summarize resources and the interview about Kenyan nursing.  I found these two projects very helpful to use in creating the final project.
I tried to set aside my draft for a day or two before revising.  This made it easier to view my work objectively and see any gaps or problems. I refined my arguments, reorganized paragraphs, and reworded sentences. I developed my ideas in more detail, I gave more evidence to support my claims, and I deleted materials that were unnecessary. I read my paper out loud. This made it easier for me to identify writing that was awkward or unclear. I let some of my friends read the paper and tell me anything that was unclear or confusing. I looked for careless errors such as misspelled words and incorrect punctuation and capitalization. Because errors are harder to spot on a computer screen than on paper, I typed my paper on a computer and printed out a copy to proofread.  I always remembered spell checkers and grammar checkers don't always catch errors, so I did not rely on them too much.
During my revision time, I checked on my thesis to see if it was present and clear and also if it was specific enough for the scope of my essay. I checked on my paper to see if it focused on supporting my thesis or if it wandered. I read my introduction and conclusion without looking at the rest of the paper to see if they matched together.  I checked to see whether my introduction and conclusion were consistent. I never stopped there; I kept working on my project with my tutors almost 3 times a week. I spent my time in the Success Center with the tutors for more help. They corrected my work and helped me to become a good writer. I did my best in revising to see myself improving and getting better grades.  Currently I am still working on my final project and am spending most of my time with people who can help me improve my writing.
Before I got into English102 I had not written many research papers. I knew how to write an essay, but my strengths were and are limited. My field-study essay was much better than my others. It was organized and it explained all the steps as shown in the introduction. On the other hand, my first and second essays were choppy and disorganized. I think this happened because I tried to make them longer, so I missed some organizational points.
I have some strength as a writer. I can write longer essays now and support my thesis. I have worked on my vocabulary and now it is improving. I always try to use transitions in my paragraphs and essays. Even though I try my best, sometimes it isn't enough. Unfortunately, that is why I can't always succeed in getting my point across clearly. I have a lot of weaknesses. Some of them I know are because my first language is Swahili and it can be difficult understanding English. I also find it quite frustrating when I have a lot of spelling problems and when I can't conclude an essay correctly.
I have learned a lot this semester. Starting with the first essay, I have learned how to evaluate my work from the beginning to the end. My plan for self-improvement is that I will take time to read my essays more and ask for the opinion of my classmates, teachers, and other people that will be able to help me revise and evaluate myself as well. Lastly, as I have been doing, I will keep trying my best and giving it all of my effort to be able to succeed writing essays not just in class, but in the future as well.
As an English 102 student I feel that I have grown as a writer in many ways. All throughout high school, I took Honors and AP English classes that taught me the fundamentals of being a good writer. But now that I have come to college, I have been challenged to think outside the box and more in depth about my writing style and focus. Through the many different genres we have written, I feel that I have become a better-rounded writer. Before, I was a very weak writer but stronger reader, but through this English class, I feel that I have become a stronger persuasive and personal writer. I had never truly focused on these forms of writing, and was pushed to give it my all. I am glad that I have learned so much and look forward to learning new styles next semester.




No comments:

Post a Comment